Monday, October 29, 2007

Zacchaeus

Wow, last week was hectic. As a result I did not have a lot of time to prepare for the Wednesday night youth meeting. I have been reading through Luke and was up to chapter 19 which begins with the story of Zacchaeus. This story is taught so much in childrens' classes, and songs, and books that I figured most of the youth had heard of it. I thought maybe there would be some sort of nostalgic attraction that would interest them.

I think I was wrong about that. However, God is so vast. In the couple of hours I had to study for the lesson I learned a lot about this passage that I was unaware of. Even while I was teaching and afterwards God was showing me things. It was cool.

One thing that we know but really tends not to sink in, I think, is the joy and sacrifice with which Zacchaeus responded to Christ. Zacchaeus found acceptance and forgiveness in Christ and immediately and cheerfully decided to give away half of what he had to the poor. What a service, what a sacrifice!

Contrast this with our responses today. Many Christians see going to church on Sunday morning as a sacrifice (and in fact this becomes the biggest sacrifice they make in response to God). Don't get me wrong, worship does involve giving ourselves to God and the Bible recognizes praise as a sacrifice. But, rather than come gladly to worship and enjoy being with other believers and recharge our spirits, we come as if it is some huge, difficult thing that God should give us lots of brownie points for. What should be a highlight of our week is a chore and when its over we feel we have done our duty and the rest of our time and money belong to us.

Is it any wonder that Zacchaeus had so much joy and Christians today often do not?

5 comments:

Karen said...

Regarding the first part of your post... I think too often people in the "ministry" assume that everyone has the same knowledge level as well as the spiritual impact of the stories in the Bible. Having been an adult on the receiving end of that assumption, I can tell you it's just not the case. Those kind of assumptions tend to alienate those who may really want to know and grow... And may even have the effect of intimidating those who think they "should" know these things. Many a youth has been lost because adults assume they know something they simply do not know. Nobody wants to admit - and maybe can't even articulate - that they don't understand the point.

slothsrcool said...

Your point is accurate and well taken, but let me clarify something. All the youth knew the basic story. I was not expecting them to know anything deeply about it. My surprise was that most of them did not have nostalgic feelings for it.

One of my points is that there is soooooo much in scripture for all of us to learn (that's why I do what I do). I was really blessed by the things God showed me in a familiar story that I was not aware of. And I think that happens to anyone who studies the Bible.

I did not mean to be down on the youth. I just wanted to share how cool it is when God opens the word up to us.

Karen said...

So true. It's an amazing thing that in order for us to teach something to someone else God increases our own knowledge and touches our soul to its very depth if we allow it. I have great admiration for your calling. And I remember you being a great teacher. I'd like to encourage you in your courageous line of work! :)

slothsrcool said...

Many thanks.

LIFe - Matt said...

That's good stuff! Maybe we could learn so much from little Z and just start focusing on Jesus instead of church...and then maybe we'll see how cool His bride really can be!

Here's to joy in sacrifice!!!