Tuesday, October 9, 2007

something strange

Something strange happened this morning. But first, the past four days were really busy. We took the boys to see Nana and celebrate some birthdays in Mexia. Left at the end of the 3rd quarter of the Texas vs. OU game to rush back so the boys could go to another birthday party and I could take one of the teens to the Baylor game. What a sad football day Saturday was!

Sunday was full with services, taking the boys to the Heart of Texas Fair, evening youth meeting, and then back to the fair to man the Brazos Meadows booth. Yesterday was a busy workday and LifeChange group last night.

So back to the strange occurrence. I walked out this morning and it was overcast, there were leaves and acorns falling from trees, and-here's the weird part-the breeze was out of the NORTH! Yes, finally a cool front, validation of Fall, my favorite time of year.

There have been signs that it was coming. The days have gotten shorter, the acorns and pecans have been falling, I saw a monarch floating through the other day, football season started, archery deer season started... but that first little northern front sure helps the reality of fall to sink in. Plus, it sure helps the temperatures.

I am thankful that we actually had a rather mild summer, but September and the first week of October were quite hot. Is that because of global warming? I don't think so but I'll also have to save that for another post. Meanwhile, I am really thankful for this little change in the weather and for fall in general.

Here are some things that I am thankful for that I associate with fall and for whatever reason really seem to bless me this time of year: The angle of the sun; cooler weather; going to football games; dove season; deer season; camping; migrating butterflies, raptors, ducks, and geese; watching football on TV; John Denver music; pecans; turning leaves; cooler weather; the smell of things like pecan pies, pumpkin bread, and banana bread in the oven; listening to football on the radio. And, o ya, did I mention cooler weather?

What are you thankful for today? Tell Jesus about it!

No comments: