Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Pet Peeve

I've heard that Christians are not supposed to have pet peeves. I don't know why that is. Maybe I just need to spend more time with God about it because I do have quite a few of them. Here's one for today.

There are a lot of atheists and other skeptics out there. They like to attack Christianity but strangely, many of them don't seem to get too worked up about Judaism, Islam, etc. Anyway, I hesitate to say this because it might come out wrong. But, I have a certain amount of empathy for their skepticism. I mean when they ask good questions I can relate to where they are coming from and feel for them. Of course most of the time they are not really searching for an answer they are just trying to defend their choices. Never the less, I do sort of appreciate their ideas sometimes.

However, there is one skeptic's argument that bugs the hound out of me. You may of heard someone say something like, "I can't believe in a God who would send people to Hell." This is an expression of a belief that because bad things happen then either there is no God or God is not moral. Oooooo, that bugs me. How dare an imperfect human exalt himself/herself to the place of passing judgement on God's morality.

"Can the pot say to the potter, 'He knows nothing' ?" Isaiah 29:16.

Its ironic that most of these folks pride themselves on being thinking people. Think about it then. Even from a strictly theistic point of view, not necessarily just a Christian one, God gets to do what He wants. By definition God is perfect and good. Therefore, his morality is perfect and good whether we like it or not. Who are we too accuse him of being immoral?

All who would accuse God, all who would place their own sense of morality above his, all who would say that He does not do enough to alleviate evil and suffering have but to go to the cross of Calvary. And there find that God himself has done everything, infinitely everything, that could ever be done to prove himself good and moral. There every evil has been overcome. There, and only there, can we find the answers to our questions and the assurance that not only is God good, but his intentions for us are good. There we find that his intentions are good, even for those who, thinking they are better than he, reject him.

How great is our God?

No comments: