Thursday, July 10, 2008

Couple things

Here is another interesting article about global warming, http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/ .

Earlier this week I read a great article at Christianity Today by William Lane Craig related to philosophy and the existence of God. Its long but really interesting; I recommend it.

A while back I wrote a little satirical post called "An Emergent Teaches Math". It must have been late at night because it made me laugh at the time. I never really finished it and therefore did not ever publish it. It was not intended to be mean, just a silly little satire to make a point. Some of the things that Craig said in his article seemed to affirm the point I was making and therefore reminded me of the unposted post. So, after you read Craig's article, then just for fun, here is "An Emergent Teaches Math"...

"Good morning fellow travelers. Today I'll be facilitating a conversation about an idea known as the Pythagorean Theorem. I had hoped that we could continue all sharing our stories of how we came to be math students. However, my department head was rather disturbed that no one scored higher than 62% on the last examination.

"Now, now, let's not be judgmental. I tried to tell him that he is just being an old fashioned linear thinker and that he really does not understand how to function in the post-modern world. But for now, he is the boss, so we need to explore this concept.

"The Pythagorean Theorem is a formula that applies to right triangles. A right triangle is a triangle that contains one angle of 90 degrees and two lesser angles that add up to 90 degrees (he displays one on the camera projector). Of course, you might not be comfortable with that. I guess there are a couple of things you might do. You could go down to Starbucks and begin a discourse about what a right triangle ought to be. Or if you don't have that much time, you could just recalibrate your protractor so that you have 90 degrees at any point you are comfortable with.

"The sides of the right triangle that form the 90 degree angle are called legs and the side opposite the 90 degree angle is considered the hypotenuse. The hypotenuse is the longest side. The Pythagorean Theorem gives us a way to find the length of one side if the other two sides are known. Specifically, it says that the sum of the squares of the legs is equal to the square of the hypotenuse. We represent it as a2+b2=c2 . Where a and b are the lengths of the legs and c is the length of the hypotenuse."

The class practices the formula a time or two and then little Johnny has a question. He says, "Mr. Teacher, you said we could recalibrate our protractor to make 90 degrees something we are comfortable with?"

"Yes Johnny."

"So, what if I were, say, I don't know, designing a bridge and I was using triangular shapes to determine various areas under the bridge and then I wanted to use the Pythagorean Theorem to determine the heights of the supports. With me? Good. But if I wasn't comfortable with the constraints of 90 degrees so I changed my protractor to suit me, wouldn't the supports end up being the wrong height? and then the bridge would not connect properly, and there could be a big waste of materials or worse, we could end up with an unstable bridge and people could die?"

"Well Johnny, I suppose that's one scenario. You've obviously only experienced a strictly Euclidean metaphysic. You're being a little arrogant to think that there is only one way of looking at things. You need to open your mind to what others on your journey may be comfortable with...

2 comments:

Holly said...

Okay, not to reopen a can of worms, but about the homeschooling issue... I am 100% sure that there are as many certified teachers that are teaching at our public schools that should'nt be, as there are homeschooling parents that shouldn't be homeschooling! My oldest child is going into 6th grade, and I have had some crazy experiences in those 6 years! Those crudentials to teach don't guarentee character! Also, about the piers from a public school being a good support system, I think the only place that exists is in fairytail land! If my children are having trouble that that they feel like they need help outside of Mom and Dad, I am going to hope that they turn to a Godly support system within their family or at church. The last thing that I have to add, is that if a mother can afford to stay home and chooses to keep her kids home all day, it is most likely going to be because she loves her children and wants the best for them. In the grand sceem of life, I think the main focus should be on how we love our children and teach them to love God and others. If a homeschooling Mom thinks the best way to do that is to teach them from home, I think they should be allowed to without schooling. Just a thought:)

slothsrcool said...

Thanks Holly. I totally agree that people should have the right to teach their own kids. I just think there ought to be some accountability in what is taught as well as in how. At least we should be making sure that a homeshcool parent is doing more than just throwing a homeschool workbook in front of a kid and expecting him/her to learn it alone.

And I agree there are bad certified teachers out there. But I know of sooo many public school teachers who are very outstanding and could teach my boys more and better than I ever could. I'd hate for them to miss out on that because they were stuck home with me.