Wednesday, July 16, 2008

And now for something completely different...

So I'm at youth camp this week. Those of you who have been to a Baptist youth camp, either as a camper or worker, will totally understand what it is like. It is a lot of fun, but also has a serious side. The goal is for people to really connect with God.

One important part of that is the Camp Pastor. The Camp Pastor is usually a professional "youth communicator" or "youth evangelist". This week, the camp director wanted to try something different, which I admire him for, and he hired a stand up comedian. It is not quite as weird as it sounds. The guy is a media minister at a big church in Colorado Springs, and does stand up comedy too. But I don't think he has a lot of experience preaching at youth camps. His first night was completely a comedy routine. As you can imagine if you are familiar with camp, that really freaked all the leaders out.

Last night he actually used the Bible a little to talk about the Messiahship of Christ. Plus, he gave a personal testimoney so I think folks are feeling a little better. Over all it has been a good camp so far. Our kids are being very good and discussing during church time. I think they are having fun too.

Gotta run, more later, I hope.

1 comment:

texaskris said...

but how is "camp Scott"?
Jeremiah prayed for you to get home safe bc he will be so mad if you don't. poor kid, he can't sleep when you are out of pocket.
we love you and miss you... I could be the camp comedian next year... except I would only last a few minutes.