Friday, December 21, 2007

What do you think?

At what point does support of a company become support of the company's values? Buying their products? Buying their stock? Selling them advertising? Becoming an employee? Never?

I would ask that you refrain from saying something like, "a company can not have values, only people have values". Companies are made up of people and pretty much every major corporation in the U.S. has a code of ethics written in their by-laws. They have value statements, they have official stands on moral positions, they advertise that they are not in business only to make a profit but to benefit society, and so on.

1 comment:

texaskris said...

Good question.
off the top of my head, I think:
If a company pushes an idea or agenda I don't agree with, that is too much for me to support them.
I also feel that if high up members of a company support something I don't agree with, you have to step back and see if it is the company or the people in it.
And there is a difference in quietly supporting something and being a part of it. For example, Wal Mart sells beer, etc. I don't drink, but I don't think I shouldn't shop at wal mart. Yet, if they started having advertisements that were strickly to sell their beer, or with minors drinking, or if they pushed it in store, I might feel a bit different. What is the difference?
to me it is that they believe it, but don't push it on me vs they are trying to sell me on their values. fine line.
I tithe on my profit from Stampin' Up!, if my customer isn't baptist, and doesn't want to support baptist ministry, should she not buy stampin' up from me? If I started asking them to give money to baptist ministries, or told about the things my money helps in the baptist life at every event, would that be too much?
I don't have the answer, I am just thinking out loud.
I would assume that unless you can grow your own stuff, produce your own gas, raise your own meat, etc. you will always be in a position to buy from someone who supports things that I don't. I would prefer to support the people who have similar values and beliefs as well as local businesses, but is that always an option?