Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Yesterday's Eclipse

Yes, the eclipse was very cool. Although, I was mystified by the "watch parties". There were thousands of people gathered on beaches and in stadiums to watch it. That part I kind of get. The reaction I did not. They were all cheering and clapping. I'm going to have to think about that for a while.

A different thought struck me this morning. Scientists can measure the orbits of the earth, moon, and sun in time and space and predict when these things are going to happen. They were already talking, yesterday about the next full eclipse in 2024 (I think that is what they said). We can predict all kinds of things about the solar system, such as when Haley's comet will come by, when we will see meteor showers, when eclipses will be, and so forth. We can do that because there is great order and regularity in the universe.

Order and regularity. Yet, scientists also tell us that the universe began with an uncaused explosion. An explosion of matter that existed in forever past. There are two problems right there. One, explosions are not spontaneous, they need a cause. Two, matter needs a cause too. But that is not what I was thinking about today. I was thinking about the order and regularity.

Have you ever seen an explosion that produced order and regularity? Every explosion I've ever seen produced chaos and destruction. But we're supposed to believe that a really big explosion, the biggest ever, produced the order and regularity of our solar system, and galaxy, and universe? I'm with Frank Turek--I don't have enough faith to be an atheist.

No comments: