Thursday, July 27, 2017

A Conversation That Did Happen

Student:  I'm so excited. I start my new job this week.
Youth Worker (and no it was not me):  Why do you need a job?
Student:  So I can make my car payments.
Youth Worker:  Why do you need a car?
Student:  So I can get to my job.

This seriously happened. I gotta say that in my experience the vast majority of teens who get part time jobs end up becoming FAR less involved in church. I realize that there are some teens who legitimately have to work to help their families with income. And I realize that there are (or at least can be) worthwhile benefits from student employment. But, Christian parent, consider the costs carefully before you let your teen start working.

We live in a dark, dark society. I believe strongly that our teenagers have three really important jobs already. These jobs are vital to and flow from our relationship with God. They are part of discipleship and should be guided by a mature Christian--namely the parents.  Job one, learn to function in a Christian family. Job two, learn to function as a church member. Job three, get an academic education that will prepare you to be a contributing member of society. These are three pretty big and time consuming tasks. When we stack other things such as sports and arts and employment on top of the main three, usually something has to give way. And from what I've seen, it is usually church or family.

Be careful what you are truly teaching your children. Don't let materialism or "the American dream" guide your decision making. The Christian life is not about health, wealth, and a great resume. It is about Jesus and his kingdom.

No comments: