Friday, July 31, 2009

Senses and memories

Its very interesting to me how our senses can trigger memories. If any of you out there are into neuroscience you can explain it for us. I think its cool how certain sounds or smells can trigger memories and seem to transport you back to another place and time. You know what I'm talking about, right? Like hearing a certain song can make you feel like a kid again or like a newlywed again. It comes on the radio and suddenly you feel like you are back in your childhood home or on your honeymoon, or wherever. Has that happened to you?

This time of year if I go out in the morning and the dew is still on the ground and I smell fresh cut grass it takes me back to those early season two a day workouts of high school. There, I re-live some of the sensations from so long ago. The smells of the locker room--sweat, spray disinfectant, Kramer's heat balm all come back. Feelings too. Like the feel of the ground vibrating when the o-line comes off the ball, the feel of sitting down in the dew drenched grass to do the obligatory pre-workout stretches and the moisture soaking into everything, the feeling of the sun baking you and the temperature inside your helmet going up and up and up, the feel of exhausted, sore muscles screaming for a respite.

You know, come to think of it, there are a lot of good reasons why only young people play football. Maybe the stereotype of the dumb jock isn't so off base? ;-)

1 comment:

LIFe - Matt said...

Pipe tobacco is one of those smells that takes me to another place...not pipe tobacco that is being smoked, just when it's in a pouch.

My grandfather used to always have a pouch of it in his shirt pocket and I would take a nap on his chest while we both "watched" The Man From Snowy River.

Now, every time I smell pipe tobacco, it takes me back to very fond memories of my grandpa. He was a good man and God used him very much in my life when I was young.